The word 'Doula' is of ancient Greek origin meaning "a women who serves." Today the term 'Doula' is used to describe a professional birth companion... someone to help with emotional, physical, and educational components of pregnancy, birth, and postpartum care.
Studies have shown that the best birthing results occur when the mother has continuous labor support from a doula– someone who was NOT a staff member at the hospital and who was NOT part of the woman’s social network. When continuous labor support was provided by a doula, women experienced a:
- 31% decrease in the use of Pitocin
- 28% decrease in the risk of C-section
- 12% increase in the likelihood of a spontaneous vaginal birth
- 9% decrease in the use of any medications for pain relief
- 14% decrease in the risk of newborns being admitted to a special care nursery
- 34% decrease in the risk of being dissatisfied with the birth experience
As a Doula I will support you, and your partner, in all aspects of your pregnancy, birth, and the early months after your baby arrives home. If you are interested in meeting with me about being your Doula here are the basic steps we will follow:
- 1) I will set up a free consultation to see if we are the right fit for each other.
- 2) If you decide you'd like to hire me as your Professional Birth Doula, I will meet with you and your partner. We will begin to discuss your birth, your wishes and options, and go over things you may not have thought about.
- 3) We will connect after each of your prenatal visits with your primary care provider.
- 4) If you are interested, I will provide childbirth education that best suits your needs.
- 5) The month you are due I will be on call. When your labor begins I will be available and be your support throughout labor and the birth of your child.
- 6) When your labor begins I will be available to support you. I will support you, and your partner, throughout labor and the birth of your baby.
- 7) After your baby arrives home I will be in your life for a few more months to offer support and education.
In addition, I provide the following services:
- Lactation Support as required.
- Rebozo - I am Rebozo certified and will teach you the basics of how to use rebozo during pregnancy, childbirth, and beyond. A rebozo is a miraculous piece of fabric, much like a scarf, hand made with love. Rebozos have been used for comfort and connection during childbirth for centuries.
- Pain Reduction and Relaxation - I will support you during pregnancy and birth with any of the following tools and techniques:
- Labor Massage
- Homeopathic Remedies
- Essential Oils
Your care will be designed for you based on what you need and desire. My hope is to support you in just the right way that works for you and your family.
Base Package Includes:
- Initial consultation
- Up to Four prenatal visits
- Personalized Birth Plan
- Phone and Email access to me throughout pregnancy and postpartum.
- On call 24/7 three weeks before your birth date until your baby arrives
- 24 hour labor/birth support
- One postpartum visit
- Professional, caring support from a Certified Birth Doula
- Initial consultation: FREE
- If you decide I am the right Doula for you: $1000.00 for the full Doula service... $500.00 due at our first professional meeting. Final payment due at your postpartum visit. Your medical insurance may cover the cost of a doula. Please contact me if you have questions about this.
I look forward to helping you have the birth of your dreams!
We hired Dory for the birth of our twin girls Layla and Zoey. We utilized the hypnobirthing technique for their delivery. Dory provided great emotional support during pregnancy and delivery. She provided insight on proper diet to prolong pregnancy, how to minimize leg/feet swelling, and how to get breech babies to turn. Zoey (Baby B) was born footling breech, anyway. :)
During the labor & delivery of the girls, I had lower back pain and nausea. Dory massaged my lower back and rubbed peppermint oil on my forehead to help with the nausea.
Dory is a calming, peaceful presence and is very passionate about her work. She has a lot of tricks up her sleeve to assist throughout pregnancy and delivery. Dory was so helpful and I would highly recommend her! - Laura Gruzwalski
It has been a real pleasure to get to know you and the special things you do to assist people. I'm really happy about the experience Rose (baby daughter) and I had. We are so grateful to you for being there for us and introducing us to HypnoBirthing. You have been a tremendous blessing to us! - BJ & Rose